Hojicha Roll Cake
Hojicha roll cake is a fun and delicious dessert to enjoy at home or to impress at any social gathering.
HOJICHA ROLL CAKE by Kait
Servings: 1 hojicha roll cake
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 4 hours with baking and refrigeration time
- 4 eggs
- 65gr sugar
- 50gr milk
- 40gr vegetable oil
- 75gr cake flour
- few drops of lemon juice
- 8gr of Hojicha Powder by Matcha Oishii
- 200 gr whipping cream
- 8gr Hojicha Powder by Matcha Oishii
- 30gr sugar
Get your Hojicha for this recipe here!
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C/ 320°F
2. Separate the egg yolk with the egg white
3. In a large bowl, add egg yolk and 10g sugar, mix well
4. Add milk and vegetable oil, mix well
5. Sift in cake flour and hojicha powder, mix well
6. In another large bowl, add egg white and few drops of lemon juice
7. Beat until the mixture become white and bubbly, add half of the sugar (55g in total)
8. Keep beating and add the reminding sugar
9. Beat until stiff peak forms
10. Fold 1/3 of the meringue into the egg yolk mixture until fully incorporated, fold in the rest of the meringue
11. Line the pan with parchment paper, pour the batter for the hojicha cake roll into the pan
12. Tap on the counter to remove air bubbles
13. Bake the hojicha cake roll for around 25 mins
14. Remove hojicha swiss roll from the oven
15. Use another parchment paper to cover the top, flip the cake sheet over
16. Remove the parchment paper carefully and replace it with a kitchen towel that is big enough to cover the whole sheet of cake
17. While the hojicha roll cake is still warm, from the short end, roll the hojicha cake to the other end, let it cool down completely
18.In a large bowl, add whipping cream and hojicha powder, while beating, add sugar gradually, beat until stiff peak forms.
19.Spread a layer of whipped cream on the cake sheet, add fresh mangoes
20. Gently roll the hojicha cake roll up
21. Refrigerate the hojicha cake roll for around 3hours
22. Cut the front and end of the hojicha swiss cake roll.
Enjoy with a glass of milk, or make yourself a nice hojicha latte to go along this delicious hojicha cake roll.