Vegan Hojicha Banana Bread
Vegan hojicha banana bread is a recipe that you must surely try to make if you like bananas and roasted green tea, hojicha. The taste of houjicha goes perfectly well with the banana bread and it makes this vegan banana bread recipe a delicious one to try, taste and even share.
Hojicha comes from the green tea leaves, the difference in its color being brown is due to the fact that the leaves are first steamed and then roasted, thus losing almost all of its caffeine and getting an incredible brown color.
Hojicha can be consumed later in the evening because of its very low caffeine content and it relaxes the body and mind, on top of having several health benefits. It is known that the health benefits of hojicha are not just boosting the immune system, relaxing the body, but also, helping the skin, among many others.
One amazing thing about hojicha powder is that it can be used in different ways, and vegan hojicha banana bread is an easy recipe for you to start to get used to the flavor of hojicha if you are new to it.
Matcha Oishii's houjicha powder has a naturally sweet taste, with hints of caramel and cacao notes that make this recipe a favorite in the hojicha recipes repertoire, so make sure you try it!
We have shared Boukje's recipe, which is amazing, because it is not only vegan, but also sugar free, gluten free and delicious.
VEGAN HOJICHA BANANA BREAD RECIPE
Servings: 1 cake
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 75 min with baking time
2 large ripe bananas (~285 g)
120 g pure apple sauce
220 g buckwheat flour
60 g protein powder
275 ml soy milk
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 flax egg: 1 tbsp (15 g) ground flax seeds + 3 Tbsp water
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp of Hojicha Powder by Matcha Oishii
Get your Hojicha for this recipe here!
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C
2. Line a rectangular cake tin with parchment paper.
3. Have your buttermilk ready. This is made by adding 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar to the soy milk. Reserve for later use.
4. You will now prepare the flax egg, by combining 1 Tbsp of ground flax seeds together with 3 Tbsp of water, let it rest, and set aside.
5. In a large bowl, combine the flour, protein powder, baking powder and baking soda.
6. In a separate bowl, mash the bananas until they are perfectly disintegrated.
7. Pour in the apple sauce, butter milk and flax egg, in the banana bowl.
8. Slowly, pour in dry ingredients and combine until everything is well incorporated for the vegan hojicha banana bread. Do this using a spatula. But, make sure to not overmix.
9. Time to divide the batter. You will leave half of the batter as it is, and to the other half, you will add the hojicha powder that will make this a delicious vegan hojicha banana bread.
10. Use a large spoon to alternate between the batters while you add them to the cake tin, so you create the nice hojicha marbled cake effect.
11. Bake in the preheated oven at 180ºC for 60min.
Keep an eye on it, you may need to cover it with aluminum foil to prevent it from getting too dark, if you want a nice color on top!
12. Let it cool and rest, then slice and enjoy.